Latest Online Marketing Blog Posts

Personalising your customer experience has become a key trend in marketing over the last two years with the expectation that it will continue to grow [...]

Read more

It’s that time of year again. The time of year when budgets are divvied out, decisions made and strategies put into place. If you are [...]

Read more

Did black Friday take you by surprise last year? It seems like every retailer in the country adopted the American sale day tradition this year. [...]

Read more

What is Retargeting?

dartRetargeting (also called remarketing) burst onto the digital marketing scene about three years ago. Since then, it’s seen massive growth. Retargeting is now a major player in any digital marketing strategy.

But What Exactly Is Retargeting?

Retargeting is a very cost effective form of online advertising. It offers you cheap clicks and an impressive ROI.

It works by placing an anonymous cookie into the browser of your website visitor. This cookie (small piece of computer code) doesn’t effect your websites performance and it’s unnoticeable to your website visitors.

This little cookie allows you to anonymously follow your audience all over the web. The retargeting software then bids for advertising space on the websites your user is visiting.

Real Time Bidding

The really amazing thing about retargeting is how fast this all happens. The bids happen in real time, so basically a bidding war is happening in the milliseconds that it takes a webpage to load.

You may have noticed this in action. You go onto a website and are looking at a really nice pair of shoes or a new book. Someone calls you from downstairs, so you immediately leave your computer and don’t make the purchase.

Then the next time you’re online, you see an ad for that exact pair of shoes or book from that exact shop. You may have thought to yourself ‘wow it must be fate’ or maybe you thought that the company has a massive advertising budget. Nope, you have just been retargeted!

Benefits of Retargeting 

1. It Gives You A Valuable  Second Chance To Convert A Website Visitor.

Think about it, how many times do you get distracted away from completing an action online? You are not alone, generally just 2% of website visitors convert into customers on their first visit to your website.

Retargeting gently reminds the other 98% about you and gives you another chance to convert them into a sale.

2. Makes You Seem Like A Super Power

Suddenly, your website visitors are seeing you’re ads all over the internet.

It can seem to them that you are running a huge advertising campaign with a massive budget. Retargeting can make your brand seem huge, while you spend very little.

3. Targeting People Who Are Interested

If you pay for a spot on a billboard, the chances are that the majority of people who pass it are not going to be interested in what you are offering. Whereas with retargeting, you are only showing your ads to people who have already expressed an interest in your product. Therefore you have a higher chance of converting them into sales. It’s an incredibly targeted form of advertising.

4. It’s A Great Accompanyment to Adwords

Combining retargeting with Google Adwords offers you an excellent opportunity to really make the most of the extra clicks you are getting. Since just 2% of people convert on the first visit to your website, retargeting hooks back in the other 98% and maximises your Google Adwords investment.

What Retargeting is Not

Retargeting is meant to be implemented as part of a digital marketing strategy. It’s not something you just set up as a solo piece of marketing. It works best when you are running other campaigns to get visitors to your website like SEO and Pay Per Click campaigns.

If you are interested in implementing your own digital marketing strategy, call us today on 01 4880985.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Marketing Services

Connect With Us:

Website design & developed by

© 2017 Better Business Results

All rights reserved.